Join Us 


        Donate on PayPal 

Frequently Asked Questions

General Membership Questions:

When will my membership expire? The Kentucky Horse Council memberships run from January 1st to December 31st.

How do I get a free membership?  If your association, business, farm, or non-profit joins the Kentucky Horse Council, you are then able to join KHC for free under that organization's name as an Affiliate member. All youth & college students may also join for free.

How do I get all of my members or employees in the KHC membership database, so they don't have to join individually?  If you are an association, business, farm, or non-profit, and would like to automatically have all of your employees and/or members be KHC members, simply contact our office. The easiest way to do so will be to send us a speadsheet with their names and contact information, and we can upload it directly to our database. Then, they'll each be an Affiliate Member.

When do I receive my membership card and benefits information?  Once you join, either online or when it is entered into our system by office staff, the system will automatically send you an email if your email address has been provided. This email contains a link to a "Members Only" webpage, which will list all your member benefits. Details about the insurance is also available if you have chosen the option of membership that includes the insurance. A member mailer is also done on the 15th of every month which will include an outline of member benefits, information on the equisure insurance (if purchased) and a membership card.  If you have any trouble opening your membership benefits email, or did not receive the email, please contact us and we'll be glad to help.

Why is it important to included my email address on the membership form?  By including your email on your membership application, you have immediate access to your membership benefits, membership card, and you are also added to our weekly Kentucky Horse eNews list. Your email address is also your login for the website which provides access to member-only sections including group discussions, social media functions, etc.

Insurance Questions:

The below FAQs are about the Personal Excess Liability Insurance administered by Equisure, Inc. for Association Resource Group (ARG) and their affiliates. This Insurance is Excess and not intended to be your primary equestrian liability coverage.

Disclaimer: This service is provided by Equisure, Inc. in cooperation with KHC. This program is not a source of revenue for the KHC. Association Resource Group Purchasing Group has arranged coverage with Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London using Equisure, Inc. as the agent.

Understanding the KY Horse Council Optional Personal Excess Liability Policy: an article by Milt Toby, Esq.

Whom does it cover?  The $1 Million Excess Personal Liability Insurance Policy covers the horses that are owned by the person with the KHC membership. It only covers horses that are used for non-commercial purposes.

Which membership types are eligible to add the insurance policy?  At this time, the policy is only offered for the Individual or Family Memberships. If you would like to inquire about insurance for your farm or business, please feel free to contact Equisure, Inc., which is the company that we work with for the $1 Million Policy. Their phone number is: 1-800-752-2472.

When does this policy go into effect for me?  The coverage starts when your payment is received by the KHC office. Coverage ends 12:01a on December 31st of every calendar year.

If my membership starts in June, when will my insurance coverage start?  Your insurance will also start the month you purchase the insurance, e.g., you will have coverage for approximately 7 months if you opted for the policy in June and coverage for 12 months if you joined in January. In both cases the coverage will end 12:01a on December 31st.

Does the liability policy pay out?  The liability policy pays out after the court finds you guilty for damages from your horse. This means that you have been sued by someone for something that has happened with your horse.

How can I get a copy of the Master Policy?  You should contact Equisure directly with proof of your membership and request a copy of the Master Policy or email your request to The Master Policy may not be posted on any websites or reproduced without prior written consent from the management of Equisure.

Do I get anything showing proof of coverage?  Yes. After joining KHC and paying the insurance premium (included in your membership fee), via email or regular mail, you will have access to the Evidences of Insurance (a brief summary of coverages, conditions and exclusions). Like the Master Policy, the Evidences of Insurance may not to be posted on websites or reproduced in any fashion without written consent from Equisure.

How would this insurance apply if I have homeowners insurance?  This policy is excess over any other valid and collectible underlying insurance. If you have underlying insurance, such as homeowners insurance, this policy is excess over that insurance. If you have no other underlying insurance this policy would become primary.

I am a trainer and run a horse breeding operation, does this insurance cover me?  No. Insurance coverage for businesses and business related activities are excluded. Please contact Equisure for more information or to purchase Professional and General Liability insurance for your equine training activities and/or equine business operation.

If my horse is boarded away from my residence, do I have coverage?  Yes. You are covered for equine related incidences away from your residence for which you are personally liable or negligent.

If I lend my horse to someone to ride, am I covered?  Yes. You are covered for bodily injury and/or property damage for an equine related incident you are held legally liable for.

Is my horse covered if it dies?  No. This policy does not provide animal mortality coverage for horses you own. Horse Mortality Insurance can be purchased by calling Equisure (800-752-2472) or email

My spouse doesn’t have anything to do with my horses. Is my spouse covered?  It depends on the membership you have purchased. The individual membership includes the member and permanent residents of the household under the age of 18. The family membership includes the member and spouse plus permanent members of the household under the age of 18.

I fell off my horse and broke my arm, what kind of coverage do I have for this?

The Personal Excess Policy does not include any medical coverage. This is not a medical insurance policy. You would have to have your own health/medical insurance.

What limits are provided by this policy?

The coverage limit provided under this policy is a per household limit and is shared by all member of the same residence. $1,000,000 aggregate limit ~ $1,000,000 per occurrence limit

Can I increase the limits provided by this policy?


Can I add an additional insured to this policy?

This policy provides personal excess liability insurance for you. It does not allow for the addition of additional insureds. If your barn has questions about the insurance provided, please fax or phone Equisure.

What should I do if I think I have a claim?

1. Write down all the details about the incident while they are fresh in your mind.

2. Take photos if possible (use a cell phone if that is all you have at the time)

3. Get the names and phone numbers for any witness(es).

4. Do not admit fault or make any monetary payment.

5. Contact Equisure at 800-752-2472.

For any additional questions please contact Equisure, Inc.

Phone 800-752-2472 or Fax 303-614-6967


Visit us on the web at

Quick Links:

Call or Email Us

Office: 859-367-0509


Fax: 866-618-3837


4037 Iron Works Parkway

 Suite 120

Lexington, Kentucky 40511

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software